How much water should I drink after Breathwork?

Why is it important to drink water after a breathwork session?

They say breathing is in charge of 70% of cleansing the body of toxins, the other 30% is through bladder and bowels. And while doing this type of conscious breathwork, this toxin release process is active and water will help flush them out.

Breathing in and out through the mouth is considered by many as over-breathing. It is not something I recommend outside of a breathwork session, though it is common, perhaps you do it daily without realising, when asleep or doing sport. There is an amazing book called the Oxygen Advantage, which talks deeply about this topic and transforms what you thought you knew, about daily breathing and breathing while doing sport or being more active.

We employ the method of mouth breathing or rather conscious connected breathing, in a safe and held space. This enables us to tap into our nervous system and connect with our subconscious. It activates the body’s sympathetic nervous system which can unearth stuck energy, tension and emotion. We then pendulate to a more passive breath, movement and voice which helps unwind and release this energy.

Also, the very act of breathing consciously and just witnessing your sensation, feeling, can be all you need to reintegrate contracted or stuck energy and increase your optimum life force flow.

Back to drinking water after breathwork…

Breathwork shouldn’t dehydrate you, but as you are mouth breathing you are supporting the release of fluid and creating and more dry environment internally, you can feel this pretty quickly with the dry throat.

When you don’t drink enough water, generally, excessive mucus builds up and produces a plethora of side effects in your body, including inflammation.  I understand inflammation to be a high contributor to illness and allergies. Under hydrated conditions, water is rapidly replaced, so it’s important to rehydrate after this type of breathing.

It’s not only important to stay hydrated but also to breathe consciously (through the nose), in order to support a healthy immune and nervous system.

In fact, it has been said from breath pioneers like Dan Brule and Dr Peter Litchfield that conscious breathing helps reduce inflammation. For more information on that, I highly recommend watching this video, where some of the best-known breath practitioners come together to talk about optimal breathing and staying well during this time of  the COVID-19 lockdown.

Click >>HERE<< for the full video.

So how much water do you drink after a breathwork and what about if it’s at night time before bed!? If you are a person who drinks a lot of water anyway and stays hydrated, maybe just enough to soothe any dryness. The advice would be to be that well-hydrated person. 😊

To find out more about breathwork visit: https://grounded.life/

 

Image credits: Alexander Van Steenberge, Kerem Karaarslan on Unsplash on Unsplash

Comments

Leave a Comment

0

Start typing and press Enter to search